Carrot cake – my favorite use for carrots. Sure, it’s not the healthiest option, but most people would look at you oddly if you accused me of being a health freak. Although I don’t eat nearly as much sugar as I did when I was younger, I do still love my occasional desserts.
When I received a bunch of carrots in my CSA box (Community Supported Agriculture), my mind immediately went to carrot cake. A quick internet search turned up so many recipes, but which should I make? I narrowed my results down to a few that didn’t contain any ingredients that I didn’t have, and then to pick the one that I would ultimately make… eeny meeny miny mo. Yes, a very scientific method of picking a recipe. 😉
What did I end up with? The perfectly moist cake, the sweet cream cheese frosting… my only caveat is I must be sure not to make this too often. (I think eeny meeny miny mo turned up a very good result indeed!) In an effort not to allow myself to eat the entire cake, my family and Son’s co-workers all got some carrot cake. All of them loved it just as much as I did… now to find some healthier recipes to use up carrots next time!
Here is the recipe, adapted from Tammy Elliot’s recipe on AllRecipes
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease and flour a 9×13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, white sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Stir in carrots.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- To Make Frosting: In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Frost the cooled cake.